Pet strollers are getting popular and there is a now quite a number of different models in the market to choose from. You might think that it is strange to see dogs in strollers but there are genuine reasons for that. My friend, for example, has bought a dog stroller for her Corgi because it is was getting old and had trouble walking. The stroller enabled my friend to still take her old Corgi out for its daily walk without all the major implications.
It is from her experience that I know what you need to look for if you want the best dog stroller for a Corgi.
Should I buy a dog stroller?
Before going into the buying guide, you should asked yourself whether you really need a dog stroller. In the case for my friend, it was necessary as the Corgi was having some walking problems due to old age. The stroller enable them to still enjoy each other’s company outside so it was a wise choice.
Another good reason to buy a dog stroller is if you are a regular jogger and wants to take your dog with you. It might tire after the first 20 minutes which is when the stroller will be useful. You can carry the dog inside such that you can push it along while jogging.
Finally, if your dogs are hard to control, you might need a pet stroller when you take them to visit crowded places like a pet friendly restaurant. In such cases, a dog stroller will work better than a lease as the latter still allows the dog to go where the leash allows it.
Do not buy this if your dog is healthy and has otherwise no problems. It is good for them to exercise while they are out for a walk. Buying a stroller will reduce their exercise levels which might cause healthy problems down the road.
Dog stroller buying guide for first timers
If you have never bought a pet dog stroller before, here are the things you should look out for when making a purchase
- Body length: Ideally, the stroller should accommodate a dog’s body length and it should feel comfortable riding inside
- Maneuverability: The stroller should be easy for you to move around. You need to check both the front wheels and the back wheels. Make sure they are easy to turn in corners and they don’t wobble, which might make the dog feel uncomfortable.
- Easy to fold: If you are not intending to keep the stroller in its open position, then you need to pay attention to whether how easy it is to fold and store the dog stroller. Some stroller can only be folded after you remove the wheels. This can be rather inconvenient especially when you are rushing for time.
- Can the dog see the outside: Visibility is important for dog breeds who are active and like to see what is going on outside while they are in the stroller. This means you need to look out for large front opening that easy to open and close when needed (i.e. raining)
Best pet stroller for a Corgi
Based on the above criteria, here are some models that are suited for a Corgi. My friend considered a few models when she was shopping around and finally settle on the below model for reasons stated in the review.
Pet Gear dog jogger stroller review
The best part is its mesh front window that allows the dog to see outside while allowing air to flow through it. During the summer days, this will make the interior more cooling for the dog.
There is even a storage area under the stroller if you want to place you doggie treats, ,water bottles, towels and other miscellaneous stuff you need for the walk.
However, do note that it is not really suited for as a running stroller as some reviewers complained about the front wheels being wobbly if you run with it. This particular model is only for small dogs. For large dogs, please consider their other models with a larger interior.
Eventually, this was the model that my friend bought for its Corgi. After 7 months of using it, she has no complaint and her dog seems to love sitting in it. If you are interested in this, buy it from Amazon as it is offering quite a big discount as of this writing:
Pet gear no zip stroller
Another model worth considering also comes from Pet Gear. This is the no zip model which means it uses latch instead of zips to make opening the front of the stroller a more convenient process. My friend was tempted by this model due to its wider see through panels on the front, relatively to the jogger model above.
However, what put her off eventually was the smaller interior. This model has a length of 28 inch while the jogging stroller has a 39.5 interior. She felt the latter will fit a Corgi well and wouldn’t make him feel uncomfortable being inside.
Prices wise, this is cheaper than the stroller model so if you are on a budget, it might be a better value for money stroller.
Dog stroller accessories you might need
Besides the main dog stroller, you can also consider purchasing some additional accessories.
- Weather cover: some pet strollers don’t come with a weather cover and it is advisable you get one during the purchase. It comes in handy when it rains!
- Dog luxury mat: for pet owners who want the ultimate in comfort, buy the dog mat
- Cargo roof rack: if you need extra storage, this roof rack will do it for you as you can stack some pretty big items on top of your dog stroller with this
Buying a dog stroller for Corgi can be a tricky exercise. It belongs to the small dog category but it is slightly longer than most small dogs. Hence, be sure you buy a dog stroller with a slightly longer length with good visibility and comfort for the dog.