If you have any interest in water sports, you would have noticed a recent trend of dogs or puppies being on board a SUP, which stands for Stand Up Paddle board. It looks really cool as an outside but I was wondering if it was really safe for the dog. I decided to do an in depth investigation and see what one needs to look out for attempting such an act.
As it turns out, having your dog on the paddle board is not as dangerous as it sounds. As long as you have trained the puppy or dog well enough, and takes all the necessary precaution, it is an activity that will no doubt closer the dog and its owner closer.
How to train a dog to stand on paddle board
I am by no means an expert but here is the basic of what you need to do to train your dog. From what I have read, it might take you a couple of months to get it right but it is worth the effort if you enjoy seeing your dog on the sup paddle with you.
- Start off by letting your dog be comfortable on the paddle board. The best way is to put the paddle board near where he is sleeping now and let it be comfortable sitting or playing on top of it.
Protip: A good way to encourage your dog to start walking on the paddle board is to place a treat on top of the board.
- Next, you need to learn how to use an object or a command for your dog to know when to come to the paddle board. This has two purposes. First, it is easier to call it when you are about to go out to the waters. Secondly, and more importantly, you can use the same method to bring the dog back to the paddle if it jumps or drops into the sea accidentally. You will spend the most time practicing this command until you are very comfortable the dog will respond to it.
- Also, make sure your dog is able to swim. I have written a simple guide on how to teach dachshund to swim. You will find some of the tips mentioned there quite useful.
- Once your dog masters swimming and the ‘come here’ command, it is time to go into the real seas. My suggestion is to start with a swallow lake and practice. During this time, observe how your dog behaves when it is on the paddle board. If it moves too much, you might need additional training to get it to sit quietly.
- When you are ready to go to the real thing, it is good to equip the dog with the necessary safety gear. My recommendation is buy the best dog life jacket you can afford. As mentioned in my reviews, a good dog life vest must be comfortable to wear and easy for you to pull the dog out of the water.
Having a dog on the paddle board can be a good way to build bonds between the dog and its owner. As long as you have train the dog sufficiently and prepared yourselves adequately, there should be no danger to worry about.