Dyson has been known for its bagless vacuum so I took immediate notice when I know about the Dyson Groom. Granted, it is not a 2016 product but I didn’t spend my days checking on the latest dog gadgets 🙂
Essentially, the Dyson Groom, as the name implies is a grooming product for removing dog’s hair. Unlike a Furminator, this is only an attachment and can only work if you have a Dyson vacuum to attach this head. Since I now have both products, I can make a head to head comparison on what are their pros and cons.
Differences between Dyson Groom and Furminator
- Standalone: The Furnminator is a standalone product while the Dyson Groom requires the use of a Dyson Vacuum. If you don’t have one, I will make a recommendation later based on what I have used before.
- Vacuuming: The Dyson Groom is able to suck the hair right into the vacuum bag so you don’t have to spend time to vacuum the hair that falls to the ground. For the Furminator, it basically desheds the dog but you still need to vacuum what has fallen off.
- Indoors: Due the vacuuming capability, it is now possible to groom your pet’s hair without having to go outdoors. This is usually the case for me when I was using the Furminator or my living room will be covered in hair. One of the biggest benefit is that you can now groom your dog during Winter times where it is too cold to go outside. This is something really useful for me.
- De shedding capability: Furminator is a better de-shedding tool as it can handle even long hair dogs like the Siberian. The Dyson Groom is ok for dogs that don’t shed as much. Mine is not a dog that sheds heavily so I feel the Dyson Groom is more than sufficient.
- Noise level: Because the Dyson Groom has to be attach to a vacuum, the noise level is as high as what the vacuum is producing. In contrast, the Furminator is much quieter.
- Dogs’ reactions: Due to the loud noise, some dogs might not like this particular way of de-shedding. In addition, they might also not like the feeling of suction on their skin but this varies according to particular dog’s temperamental.
What is suitable for me
After knowing their differences, you can better decide if which tool is more suited for you.
If you have a medium to large dog that doesn’t shed heavily, then the Dyson Groom is a better choice. It makes less mess of the house due to the instant vacuuming and is very convenient in case you want to do another around of sucking for the floor. If you have an existing Dyson vacuum, this will make even more sense.
For small dogs, the suction power of the vacuum might be uncomfortable but this depends on your particular pet. If it does, simply return it if you buy it from Amazon as they have a great refund policy.
The Dyson Groom kit comes with other attachments but these are mostly used for the carpet. I didn’t used any of them as they don’t really help in the dog grooming aspect.
For those dog owners who needs a stronger grooming tool, then you should definitely go for the Furminator. It is still the most powerful de-shedding tool that I have used and should get any job done. The only thing is you probably need to go outdoors which is practical impossible during the Winter periods.
How to use the Dyson Groom kit
The kit is easy to use. You hold a button to unleash the pins when doing the brushing and then released for the hair at the brush to be sucked in. This way of operating, rather than vice versa, helps to prevent the brush pins from sticking out and causing some injuries if you are not careful. It shows how much thought Dyson has put into the design of the product.
Before using it on your dog, it is highly recommended that you try it on your arm first. This will give you a sense of how strong the suction is. When using on the dog for the first time, do it gently and observe how it behaves. Most of the time, it should be fine. In fact, your dog might enjoy the sensation.
Dyson DC50 animal vs DC65 animal
This section will be useful to those who don’t have a Dyson vacuum. For reviews on puppy or dog vacuums, click on the previous link. I was a heavy Dyson user even though it is a more expensive brand. However, once you have used it, it is hard to go back to anything else. The smooth and powerful suction plus the way it moves smoothly can’t be described until you try it yourself. It works especially well on carpeted floors as it can pick up dirt that my previous vacuum cleaners can’t.
Between these 2 models, the DC65 is the latest one and has obviously more suction capabilities compared to the DC50. That however comes with an additional price of more than $100. Whether you think the tradeoff is worth depends on how happy you are with the DC50. To be honest, I was a very satisfied user of the DC50 and only upgraded to the DC65 recently. I am comfortable to say that the former is sufficient in most cases, unless you have a very large apartment or uses heavy carpeting.
- Suction power – DC65 wins hands down although the DC50 is powerful in itself
- Size – The DC50 is a very compact vacuum cleaner and can be easily stored away. The DC65, in contrast, is a full sized vacuum
- Cord length – The DC65 has a much longer cord length, which was why I said this vacuum cleaner is suitable for folks with large houses. In exact terms, the DC50 has a reach of around 28 feet while the DC65 has around 45 feet
- Bin size – DC65 has a bin size of around 0.55g while the DC50 is around 0.21g
- Prices – The DC65 is the more expensive model obviously!
- Heads and accessories – Both have about the same stuff with DC65 having one extra brush. I can’t even remember what it is so it is probably not that useful
- Technology – Both models use the patented Cyclone technology
The Dyson Groom is a convenient dog grooming product that works very well under certain conditions. If you have a medium to large dog with a long coat that doesn’t shed heavily, then this is for you. If you have a small dog or if you have a dog that sheds like crazy, then a Furminator might be more suitable.